The Blogger Positivity Campaign hosted by the lovely Jillian of Jillian's Books kicks off today and I'm incredibly excited to be a part of this uplifting campaign! To kick of the event, the participating bloggers are doing an introductory post so here we are. I hope there's a little something for both the new and old readers of Word Contessa! ;)
For those of you who are visiting for the first time, my name is Nuzaifa and I am the blogger at Word Contessa (previously, Say It with Books). I am a 20 something feminist working in branding and communications at a local fashion retailer. When I'm not reading, I can found binge-watching Empire, HTGAWM or The Mindy Project, gushing over pretty typography, or volunteering.
I blog from Sri Lanka, a tropical island in South Asia. Think gorgeous beaches, stunning forests, magnificent wildlife, super friendly people and drool-worthy spicy cuisine. Don't take my word for it, check it out here.
LIFE OF A READER
As far I can remember, I have been reading all my life. It started out with adorable Ladybird books that I read with my mum which I then traded for all the magic and mystery that Enid Blyton offered. Nancy Drew, Dan Brown, Julia Quinn, Sophie Kinsella and Jefferey Archer saw me through high school. Twilight introduced me to YA and then I stumbled across Goodreads which opened up a whole new world. ;)
LIFE OF A BLOGGER
Goodreads not only introduced me to a never ending TBR but also to the awesome book blogging community. Say It with Books started out as an experiment during a bored afternoon at work. One name change, countless blog design changes, one co-blogger and 3 years later, here we are.
The blogosphere unsurprisingly, not what it was when I started out. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? A bit of both actually. I would say some things are a blown out of proportion these days leading to a lot of ridiculous drama and ugly behavior. But some things have definitely taken a turn for the better. There's more inclusiveness within the blogging community and there's also a lot of creativity because readers are no longer happy with standard reviews so bloggers are really bring in their A-game. Bloggers also seem to be branching out more into areas like design, business, writing etc making blogs much more interesting than it was 2-3 years ago.
ECCENTRICITY AND ALL
- My favorite pizza toppings are jalapenos, pineapple and black olives. Not necessarily together but hmmm...maybe I should give that a go.
- I detest the colors pink (salmon pink however, is excused) and yellow (too fucking cheerful for my taste) with a passion.
- I have zero hand to eye co-ordination. This is probably why I suck at most organized sports, video games and physics experiments.
- I couldn't cook to save my life. Many attempts to create basic dishes have gone down in flames. Both literally and figuratively.
- A total cliche but Mr Darcy gets me every time.
BOOKS I SHALL LOVE, FOREVERMORE
- The Book Thief, Markus Zusak
- Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe Novel, Benjamin Alire Sáenz
- What We Saw, Aaron Harzler
- The Raven Cycle Series, Maggie Stiefvater
- Throne of Glass Series, Sarah J. Maas
BOOK BLOGS THAT MAKE ME GO WOAH
- Paper Fury - 100 points for originality! Cait's posts never fail to amuse me.
- Nose Graze - Ashley's posts especially here tutorials are always on point and I love that she's constantly innovating the concept of book blogging.
- Chasing Faerytales - Local blogger shout out. I watched Mishma's blog grow over the years and I'm so proud of her. Watch out for her discussion posts!
- Read Me Away - Ana's an amazing individual and you can really see her personality through in her posts!
- Word Revel - I adore Jo's aesthetic-Her blog images are always gorgeous and her posts are impeccable!