Today I have author of the upcoming young adult novel The Dollhouse Asylum, Mary Gray here at Say It with Books! I'm totally excited for her debut which will be hitting shelves this November!
So let me tell you why I think Mary Gray is a rockstar....
- Dystopian is my favorite genre-If you haven't read the blurb for The Dollhouse Asylum you should do it ASAP. It sounds so frigging creepy(in this totally AWESOME way of course). It sounds like the kinda book that I won't be able to forget even after I close the book! To put it simply, I NEED THIS BOOK NOW.
- She loves Robin LaFevers’ My Fair Assassins series & Supernatural-Anyone who values the awesome-ness of Ismae, Sybella and Dean Winchester are kickass in my book.
- She can say 'da bomb' and get away with it without sounding like a total dork. She is da bomb.
|See I told ya. Creepy in this totally AWESOME way.|
So here's a free-hand interview with Mary Gray where she shares 25 fun facts about herself!
- I have a book coming out! In October! It’s called THE DOLLHOUSE ASYLUM and WEEE!!
- Last year, my husband and I built a pool in our back yard, and it’s the only way to do summers in Texas with little ones. I love my pool. It has a diving board and my husband looks mighty fine diving in or doing his flips.
- I recently joined the YMCA—all for the kid care, endorphins, brainstorming sessions, and chance to work out (notice how I stated exercise last?)!
- Vegetables are da bomb!
- If you ever quote me as saying “da bomb,” I’ll deny it.
- I went to eleven different schools including four different high schools, one for each year, so if I showed up at my class reunion, I doubt anyone would know who I was.
- I just took my little ones on a 4500 mile road trip without another adult to help, and it was harder than I could ever explain. The kids got to do some amazing things, though. They saw cousins in Washington, went to the beach and on a boat in California, played with cousins in Albuquerque, and much more.
- I write like a turtle. It took my five years to write THE DOLLHOUSE ASYLUM. My next book probably won’t take as long, but I’ll never be the sort of person who can write seven novels in a year.
- While writing is one of the most rejuvenating activities I know, it still takes energy. Sometimes I’m so wiped out, I just CAN’T. I’ve learned to give myself permission to veg and watch some shows so that I can go back to my kiddos with energy again, because they only have one mom. I offset my laziness by writing one long evening a week while my husband takes the kids.
- I’ve decided being an introvert can be one of the most difficult things to be when you’re a mom because all you want is a break/to be alone, but you’ve got your little darlings following you everywhere you go! I’ve also learned I have to give myself breaks to bounce back again.
- I’ve never been a good journaler, but writing in my journal this summer saved my emotional life.
- Never had a drop of alcohol in my life. Or tried tobaccos (or drugs) so I’m not a drug or alcohol expert!
- I believe in God, so while my stories aren’t characterized as “Christian fiction” I have a tendency to talk at least a little about him.
- My biggest fear is having one of my children drown in my pool. That’s why we have two separate locking systems on our back door, I’ve taken CPR, and I watch my swimmers like a hawk.
- I tend to listen more than I talk… unless I’m talking to my sister. Then sometimes she can’t get me to shut up.
- I am massively terrified of strawberries and snakes.
- I’m attending some amazing book events soon! My release party in Dallas, TX October 25th (where people get to dress up as tragic, literary couples just like in my book!), The Houston BookRave November 2nd, YAKFest near Fort Worth in January, and another event I can’t quite talk about yet.
- Chocolate or die.
- I used to play Mozart, Chopin, and Rachmaninoff on the piano. Now, I write. Perhaps in the future I’ll have time for both.
- My day’s not complete without indulging in a story—whether I’m writing, reading, or watching it.
- My favorite books are Robin LaFevers’ My Fair Assassins series, Neal Shusterman’s Unwind series, and Carrie Ryan’s The Forest of Hands and Teeth series.
- The best shows in the world are Supernatural, Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Spike, you stole my heart!), Lost, Alias, Prison Break, and my guilty pleasures are Gossip Girl, Pretty Little Liars, Twisted, and The Bachelor/Bachelorette.
- I’m still waiting for a movie to be as awesome as The Matrix, though V for Vendetta and Inception were close.
- I tend to write stories where people die. And where people kiss. Romance and violence in fiction are where it’s at!
- I’m happiest when I’m writing something, and look forward to when my kids are old enough so I can write full time.
Mary Gray will be giving an ARC of The Dollhouse Asylum to one lucky person-How cool is that??!
This giveaway is open to US entrants only.
So tell me what do you think of The Dollhouse Asylum? Are there any authors who you consider as rockstars?